In 2019, PEDro answered more than 3,000,000 questions. That means a new search was performed every 10 seconds, on average.
Although PEDro contains more randomised controlled trials than systematic reviews and practice guidelines, the most commonly accessed articles by PEDro users were reviews and guidelines. This means that many physiotherapists are using the best research methods to guide their practice. Using guidelines and reviews is also efficient because both methods synthesise the results of all available trials and, for guidelines, reviews on physiotherapy interventions for specific health conditions.
The top 10 articles accessed in PEDro during 2019 were:
- Qaseem A, et al. Noninvasive treatments for acute, subacute, and chronic low back pain: a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med 2017;166(7):514-30. Read more on PEDro.
- Delitto A, et al. Low back pain clinical practice guidelines linked to the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health from the Orthopaedic Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2012;42(4):A1-57. Read more on PEDro.
- Hunter D, et al. Guideline for the management of knee and hip osteoarthritis (second edition). Read more on PEDro.
- Diercks R, et al. Guideline for diagnosis and treatment of subacromial pain syndrome: a multidisciplinary review by the Dutch Orthopaedic Association. Acta Orthop 2014;85(3):314-22. Read more on PEDro.
- Thorson D, et al. Adult acute and subacute low back pain: sixteenth edition. 2018. Read more on PEDro
- Stochkendahl MJ, et al. National clinical guidelines for non-surgical treatment of patients with recent onset low back pain or lumbar radiculopathy. Eur Spine J 2018;27(1):60-75. Read more on PEDro.
- Logerstedt DS, et al. Knee stability and movement coordination impairments: knee ligament sprain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2010;40(4):A1-37. Read more on PEDro.
- Low Back Pain Working Group. Evidence-informed primary care management of low back pain. 2017. Read more on PEDro.
- Geneen LJ, et al. Physical activity and exercise for chronic pain in adults: an overview of Cochrane Reviews. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017;Issue 4. Read more on PEDro.
- Mehl J, et al. Evidence-based concepts for prevention of knee and ACL injuries. 2017 guidelines of the ligament committee of the German Knee Society (DKG). Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2018;138(1):51-61. Read more on PEDro.